Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Portrait of a Great Big Sweater Blocking



Sure doesn’t look like much yet. I wanted to get a good block so I dunked it thoroughly in the bathtub and spun it twice in the washing machine before I pinned it out. I don’t know how long it will take to dry. I’m disappointed that the “kinks” in the yarn didn’t block out better. I knit the new sweater straight off the old one without washing out the yarn even though I know that is Really Bad Form. I didn’t do it strictly out of laziness: the three plies that make up Rowan Plaid are barely twisted together. I was concerned the typical routine of ripping, winding and washing was going to be too hard on the yarn. It may turn out to be a mistake.

It upsets me that it is going to be spring soon and I haven’t gotten done much of the winter knitting I wanted to do. All winter long, though, I’ve been feeling Half Dead. Actually, the last time I tried to give blood, they wouldn’t let me give because they thought I was Half Dead, too: low iron, low blood pressure, low heart rate, low body temperature. So I took my exhausted self to the doctor Friday and he says I’m anemic. No surprise there: for months I’ve been walking around looking like an extra from Buffy the Vampire Slayer when they were still doing the Dead White Vamp Makeup. But it does give me a bit of an excuse for why I mostly only nap all the time these days. I assume after he takes out some of my blood tomorrow and thoroughly analyzes it, I will get some medicine and then I will get better. Watch This Space for a flurry of Finished Objects.