Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Orange Peel scarf complete



The pattern size was 86” long but I stopped mine at about 70. I tried it on and it seemed plenty long enough. Scarves that are too long are a pain. My substitute yarn made for a scarf that is less “drapey” and more “sproingey” than the original. Rather like Tigger’s tail. Looks good. Have half a ball of 220 left.

Whipped up a Gala hat



Began it yesterday and finished today. This pattern is in Rowan Mag 36 and uses one ball each of Kid Classic and Kidsilk Haze worked together. In the magazine it is done up in “Juicy” and “Marmalade” which is, naturally, orange. Mine is “Merry” and “Heavenly.” Yarn purchased at Stitches Midwest 2004 from two different vendors, because no single vendor had both Kid Classic and Kidsilk Haze. Would have liked to have green, but second choice blue is very pretty. Used ¾ of the ball of Kid Classic but have half a ball of Kidsilk Haze left. Should probably buy more so it won’t be lonely.

After I finished Gala, I wanted to start a new sweater. Pulled out the stuff for Lysette and discovered I don’t have the needles for gauge. I need a 2mm and a 2.5mm -- one size smaller than the pattern specifies. It has now officially been a long time since I had to size up needles for gauge, but I don’t know exactly why I am knitting less tightly. I fear carpal tunnel has left me with less grip.

On the subject of carpal tunnel, I started taking evening primrose oil recently. My husband’s stepmother gave me GLA in a different form, borage oil, when I was there for Christmas because I was complaining of dry skin. According to what I read subsequently, GLA is also good for arthritis, sore joints, rosacea and PMS because it is an anti-inflammatory. When I went to buy it for myself, I got the evening primrose because it has smaller dose and it has been more heavily tested by the FDA. Not that I trust them necessarily.