Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, January 02, 2005

I think I need my own cooking show. Considering how many people watch reality TV, I believe there is a huge audience out there dying to see me set potholders on fire, break spatulas and say “F#$%!” every 30 seconds.

But forget New Year’s. On the subject of Christmas, the lure of new yarn was too much for me



This pattern is from the Winter Knitter’s magazine. It is called “Victorian Ruby,” designed by Jane Sowerby, and made up for the mag in Rowan Kidsilk Haze #606 Candy Girl (hot pink.) I asked Santa for a different color, #595 Liqueur. The lace scarf is made by working the first end side to side, then tipping it and picking up along the edge to work the length of the body in a drop stitch pattern. In this photo, I have just tipped, picked up and worked one repeat of the body pattern. New skill learned with this project: crochet cast on. It is not difficult, but it was tricky with skinny yarn and (comparatively) large needles.

I LOVE KIDSILK HAZE. For the first few rows, I was hating it, but after I got used to the feel of the yarn I liked it, and after I felt the fabric it makes I was in love. I am intrigued by the idea of a garment made with this yarn, like Aimee from Vintage Style, but I quail when I think about seaming. Point of interest: Kidsilk Haze is the same weight and fiber composition as Doucer et Soie and also Madil Kid Seta, both of which are about $2 or $3 cheaper per ball, but don’t come in the interesting colors that Kidsilk Haze does. Also a technical note: I began on a bamboo needle which gripped and held the fuzzy yarn well for the lace end, but I think I am going to change to a slicker needle for the body stitch.

All of this scarf so far was worked while watching selections from the New Year’s Eve Law and Order SVU 24-hour-marathon, the New Year’s Day Monk 24-hour-marathon, and the first three episodes of The 4400 on DVD. The 4400 is a great show. I don’t know how I missed it when it premiered. Season 2 doesn’t begin until June. Way too long! But January is bringing the Battlestar Galactica series premiere and new episodes of Stargate SG:1 and Atlantis and a new season of Deadwood. It is a little embarrassing how much TV I watch. I wish I could read while I knit. I have about 50 books that I have bought and not read yet because I just want to knit.

Oh, also, part of the time invested on Ruby was spent correcting a mistake. I was more than halfway through the lace end when I found an error on one of the ladders -- I had knit through instead of yarn-overing. I had to drop a Long Way Down, fix it, and crochet hook my ladder back up. A real pain. I hate dropping on a yarn-over and working it back up: on any other project I might have just ripped back and reknit regardless of how much progress was lost. This yarn does not rip back, though. Two rows of unknitting convinced me of that.