Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Hooray for Christmas presents! Got one finished and here it is only Christmas Eve Eve.



That bag, the previously mention Edie Eckman pattern from Knitter’s Winter 2000, is for my best bud, Brandy. I made it with Cascade Chunky Tweed, an exact weight match for the sample’s Jamieson Chunky Shetland. My photo just barely shows the tweed flecks on the dark gray background: they are black and brown and tan and cream. (Brandy really likes neutrals.) I’m pleased with the lining fabric I found:



That is actually one of my husband’s shirts. When I took the summer shirts out of the closet and replaced them with the winter shirts, I bagged everything that was stained, torn or left over from the ’80s. (It was either that or Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and my husband would never forgive me if I put him on television.) That particular striped shirt fell into all three categories.

I wanted to stabilize this bag with a cardboard bottom, but I wanted it to be washable, so I affixed Velcro to the bottom of the bag and the cardboard piece



And you may also note that I decided on the stacked button.



I learned something significant about stacked buttons, too: glue them together before you sew them on. Otherwise, they slide all around, and if you try to glue them on after they’re sewn you make a mess. A glue mess. Yuck.

Perhaps you’ve noticed I’m posting this in the bright a.m. We got another batch of snow last night and the Courthouse is closed. Hooray! again. I’m off to fringe.