Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Monday, November 08, 2004

I visited SIX yarns stores in the Phoenix metro area. Phoenix Metro includes Phoenix, Sun City, Glendale, Surprise, Avondale, Scottsdale, and several more places I didn’t visit. I think the best stores were Cotton Fields Quilt and Knit in Avondale (it was the Rowan Stockist) and the Arizona Knit and Needlework Shop in Scottsdale, which is the Don’t Miss shop of the area, in my opinion. Unfortunately, it was So Good, I ended up doing that same thing I do at the Yarn Fair: shut down, spin around and mumble to myself like a robot with more information to process than it has circuitry. “Can not compute…. Can not compute….”

I got some new books



To accompany the Elsbet Lavold book #1 in the center of the photo above, I purchased some gorgeous Silky Wool



And for the Plaid Collection, some, well, Plaid



I love Plaid. It is so soft and cushy. And this batch was 40% off regular price. The shop owner told me it wasn’t selling very well in the warm Southwest, so she had put it and her Yorkshire Tweed Chunky and Chunky Chenille on sale. That photo is the sixth ball of the Plaid I bought, because the first five have already been knitted. I begin to see why so many people like super-bulky projects; having a sweater done in four days is fun. The proof will be in the wearing, though. Am I going to look like a big Plaid ball, and am I going to get too hot?

I acquired some new scarves



That Cascade 220 is a Quatro: two oranges, a coral, and a color that is a bit pink. The blue is a Berroco yarn called Chloe which I have not seen before, so it is probably discontinued. The vari-colored balls are Europa -- can’t remember the brand.

And I bought some new bags



Red Berroco Sensuwool, which they don’t make any more (I got it and the Chloe at the same shop) and Purple Uxbridge Tweed, which is also discontinued, but far more recently.

For felting kicks, Manos



I’m not sure I would have selected that color had I been on my own. My husband admired it and called my attention to its beauty.

Be sure and tune in for our next episode: “The Grand Canyon!”