Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, October 23, 2004

First stages of my first Scarf Style Scarf



That scant progress (5.75”) actually represents a good bit of time. I had some trouble getting a feel for the pattern in the beginning, as it is one large repeat of 59 stitches and 45 rows. Even after I blocked off five-stitch grids onto my chart, my eyes were still jumping around. I’ve done enough now, though, that I’m into the rhythm of the design and it is going much faster.

This scarf is called Interlocking Balloons and was designed by Shirley Paden. I think this must be one of Shirley’s favorite stitch patterns. She also used it for a lovely oversized coat in Interweave Knits Fall 2000 issue



And used a similar pattern for a really gorgeous pullover in Vogue Knitting Fall 2002



I personally do not think my scarf pattern looks very balloon-like. It reminds me of carnival glass. The shaded reds of my Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sport wool contribute to the image, which unfortunately you can’t see very well in my illustration. I scanned the scarf on the flatbed scanner to try and get the best pic I could, which is why my stitches are smooshy, but the coloration is just too subtle for my tools, I fear. Later, I might try a camera shot in natural light, but there is no natural light here.

In fact, it is a Truly Dark Autumn Day



Our willow looks even weepier than usual. It looks like it should be cold, but strangely, it’s not so much. I like this kind of weather myself, but I know I’m a minority.

I’m going to be off-line for a couple weeks, but I should have lots to report when we are up and running again. Now that November is looming, I’m setting everything aside but gift knitting until I have all the small stuff done. Lot of pics to come. See ya’.