Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Friday, October 15, 2004

Have acquired two Brand Spanking New Knitting Books in the past week: Scarf Style edited by Pam Allen and 25 Bags to Knit by Emma King.

I like scarves. I’m not sure I’m at the Scarf Maniac level like many people I have observed recently. And I don’t always enjoy making scarves, for some reason. Seems like I often lose interest halfway to the finish. This book is awesome, though. Lots of very interesting and challenging and beautiful things to make. I can’t wait to get started! The one criticism I have is one noted elsewhere by others: the illustrations are a disaster. They decided to go “arty” with the photography and actually published a knitting book where the knitted objects are so blurry the reader CAN NOT SEE THEM. Of course the models’ chins are all in perfect focus. I should add that they include as a little sidebar to each pattern a detail photo of the scarf but it is too small.

25 Bags to Knit is a book I wish I would have seen before I ordered it, because, even though I like it, I probably wouldn’t have bought it knowing what was inside. What’s inside? 25 bags, sort of. I would describe it more precisely as about 6 bags a few different ways. And a disproportionate number of them are made with 2 strands of Rowan Handknit DK together, which sounds like a real pain in my right elbow. Still, it is a worthwhile book -- the designs are pretty and I love the handle style of the cover model, which is the model that appears most often in the book. I saw a couple of things I would like to do in the near future.

Meanwhile, the baby blanket continues and I took a break to work on some Christmas knitting. Also this:



is going along slowly but surely.



The color of this Shelridge Farms Soft Touch Ultra 3-Ply fingering wool is “Sage.” I usually think of sage having a little bit of gray tone but this doesn’t. I think it is going to be a gorgeous Lisette (provided I do my part.)