Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Tornadoes came and went and I am still here. Check this out, though:



That pole holds the power line that leads into my house. It is broken off at the ground level and is being held up by the lines themselves. Power came back on, though, last night. We were actually at the movie theater watching TROY (AWESOME) with Lana and her husband when the worst of the storms went through Sunday night. They shut the movies all down and all twelve theaters emptied into the halls when the tornado warning was on. That was different.

Before all that, however, I finished my latest felted bag on Saturday. This:



is Lion Brand Landscapes, a new product. You see the hot pink circle on the label that proclaims “Felts When Machine Washed and Dried?” Well, is does and it doesn’t. The yarn is two plies -- one of vari-colored acrylic that looks like cotton candy and one of vari-colored unspun wool. The wool felts, but, of course, the acrylic doesn’t. It is an interesting effect, but there is very little shrinking and the stitches don’t disappear. I’m glad I did a swatch. However, I found some great fabric for a lining while shopping Sunday:



I can’t decide which I like best -- the regular side or the reverse:



There was no pattern for that bag, BTW, I made it up as I went along.

Here’s something wild: Vogue actually wrote me back, only one month and ten days after I asked them about the maybe-error in the Socks Two pattern. They didn’t see any error. I wrote them back and explained where I was confused. We’ll see.

The Summer Knitter’s is for sale at the bookstore in the mall. Mine has not arrived in the mail. Tell me again why I subscribe to this stupid magazine?