Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Here’s a word that gets stuck in your head:

MITRE

MITRE MITRE MITRE

Sergio Mitre is, of course, the Genuine Cubs Farm Boy called up to replace our Cutie-Pie (unibrow? What unibrow?) Ace Pitcher Mark Prior while he is on the Disabled List. Since he arrived, very time I look up and see Mitre (he says it “Mee-tray”) standing on the mound with That Word on his back I think, naturally, about Mitered Squares. Specifically, SOCKS with Mitered Squares. Once the idea was planted in my brain, it grew and grew until I had NO CHOICE but to knit some mitered square socks.

Here is what I have so far:



That is the beginning of the Domino Square Socks from the Vogue Socks Two book. It is a simple idea: one big mitered square forms the top of the foot, pick up 36 stitches along the top edge of said square, work a short-row toe (my first with wraps -- woo hoo) and then come out on the bottom of the toes with 36 stitches ready to do the bottom of the foot. I was excited about this because I could see I’d be working the bottom and joining it to the square as I went and I had always wanted to do this.

EXCEPT, now there is trouble. I have my 36 stitches, right? This is what it says to do next: p to last st, p last st tog with 1 st from side edge of mitered square, then, right side, k to last st, k last tog with 1 st from mitered square, and “cont to work sole in this way until all sts are joined to mitered square.”

Then you do the heel flap on 36 sts. Am I stupid? Because that does not make sense to me. I have been communicating with Vogue for three days now trying to get an answer about whether an errata sheet for this book even EXISTS and, if it does, it might not help. Maybe it is just me not understanding.

I sent another letter to Vogue a bit ago. If I don’t get a clue on this project soon, I’m going to skip (rip) these and go straight to either the Knitter’s magazine Swatch Your Step pattern or the Heartland Knits Diamond Patch Socks (Koigu! Koigu! Koigu!) I have some time to wait -- my Berroco Suede arrived Monday in the mail and I have been working on my Sueet Suede bag. Should have pictures in a couple days.

(Sorry no interesting progress to report on the Lacey Tee -- the front is EXACTLY like the back right up to the neck edge. That is why I am running around starting new things BTW, just so I’ll have something to blog about. You believe me, don’t you?”)