Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, June 13, 2004

I have some beautiful Mananita progress I could illustrate here -- unfortunately, the rechargeable batteries I use for my digital camera are the same ones HE uses for the GPS and they are in the camper and I’m too lazy to go out and get them. So, pics later. You will note by the sidebar, however, that I estimate knitting completion at 25%.

Have had a little trouble with the Mananita. I ended up ripping out the first few rows and starting over. Those big holes are triple YOs with 18 stitches worked into them on the subsequent row. In the instructions from Shawls and Scarves, it directs you to work the 18 stitches by working into the front and back of each YO three times, which I diligently did, and ended up with three clumps of 6 stitches instead of the nice, smooth ring of stitches shown on the photo model. So I tried to rip back, but I ended up with a big snarly knot (because I didn’t wind the ripped thread right back onto the cone) and all kinds of dropped stitches (because I didn’t run a safety line even though I could tell on the first hole that I wasn’t liking my results.) It took me all last evening to sort out the knot and wind it all back and restart (because some girls gotta’ learn the hard way.)

When I got to the 18-stitch-placement row on the second draft, I checked Meg Swansen’s Knitting book, which also has this pattern in it. IT says to work the 18 stitches, K1, P1, into the YOs. That looked ONE THOUSAND TIMES BETTER. Which you’ll see when I finally get some pictures taken.

Meanwhile, because I don’t have enough to do, I’ve started Lola from Rowan 35



I have this fantasy that I’ll finish it right away.