Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Wednesday, January 22, 2003

There are people, like Wendy (see left), who seem to start a knitting project, work on until they finish it, and then start a new one. I think this would drive me insane. I am, right now, so sick of my WIPS I want to throw them out the window. I want to start something new RIGHT NOW. Of course this is why it takes me a year to knit a sweater. I think I've talked my self into a compromise: get some good work done on one or both of the pullover WIPS and then swatch for a couple of future projects. I've got the seaming done on the Adrienne Vittadini raglan and a good deal of the ends in, although I think I'm going to do most of them over, and I'm halfway up the first sleeve of the Homespun pullover. Unlike the AV, finishing on the Homespun pullover will be minimal, so I'm making good progress there.

What will I swatch? I have some Lion Brand CottonEase that I am going make into a pattern of my own design, so I need to do LOTS of swatching with it, and then some cheap dishcloth cotton is going to be the super-simple hooded cardy in one of my old FCEKs. The cardy was designed by Shirley Paden and has beaded trim. I've never knit with beads before, so this should be fun. One thing though, she doesn't you have string the beads beforehand and knit them in -- you put them in as you go in what looks to be a rather inconvenient way. I'm going to swatch both ways and see what happens.

Buffy party last night. We feasted on Subway and watched what may be January's only new episode. Mutant Enemy pulled a Slayer switcheroo on us: first Dawn WAS the new potential Slayer, then suddenly, OH! no she's not. Instead, it's the girl from Dawn's school who's even skinnier than Dawn, scary when you consider Dawn herself is so skinny she only barely exists. (Does Michelle Trachtenburg have parents? Do they know a doctor?) Even with the "surprise" it was only a ho-hum episode. I think all this nonsense with the Slayers-in-training may have been more interesting if, after they all arrived, they had done each episode from a different girl's point of view, like they did in "The Real Me" when Dawn first arrived. That way we could see the girls as individuals, see how they each perceive Sunnydale and Buffy and their own destiny, hear about their pasts. As it is, all they do is stand around and act nervous. It's boring.