Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, January 05, 2003

I found a TOAD in the laundry room today. This summer, I think July, I decided to knit a felted bag from a pattern in Interweave Knits. It was my first real felting project and I made a mistake when I substituted yarn. The yarn I used felted A LOT differently than that of the sample and the dimensions of my completed tote were way off. The bag isn't really awful, but it is almost twice as wide as it is tall and I just don't like it. I had had such high hopes for this project that when it went wrong I was SO disappointed. Now my Wider Is Not Better Tote is sitting with me here in the hobby room, and I've decided to cut it up. Using the felted wool just like fabric, I'm pretty sure I can sew a decent bag out of what I've got. Bonne Marie Burns has a similar project outlined (with pictures) on her knitting site chicknits.com. She made a little fancy purse out of an old sweater she felted by accident.

The pieces of the AV pullover should be done by tonight, so I've been reviewing all the information I've collected on blocking. Blocking is not my best thing. I read a book once that said high-intensity work in this area is a waste of time. The author stated that every time you wash a garment and lay it out to dry it is "blocked," so all this pinning and shaping to measurements is useless. That sounded reasonable to me. The only thing I ever really tried to block was the Landscape Shawl and I made a mess of that. Instead of pinning and spritz-dampening it like I should have, I got it wet and then tried to pin it out. The garter sections spread like crazy, the stockinette and reverse stockinette portions spread half as much, while the seed and moss stitch just laid there. YOU CANNOT FORM A PERFECT TRIANGLE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. This I know.

This weekend's Wildly Amusing DVD Purchase Award goes to: "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe!" Yesterday at Sam's Club I scored two collections of old Sci Fi on DVD. One was a collection of movie action serials. Chapter One of Flash Gordon opens with Earth's population being decimated by The Purple Death. How do you know if you have The Purple Death? You die with purple spots on your forehead! Somehow (I didn't understand this part) Flash and his cohorts determine that Flash's arch-nemesis Emperor Ming the Merciless is responsible for the plague and track him to his palace on the planet Mongo. Their spaceship is to die for. On Mongo, Ming takes Flash captive and Chapter One ends with Flash plummeting to certain death at the bottom of a huge pit. Of course, Chapter Two opens with Flash's miraculous rescue. From there, they travel to the snow-and-ice-world Frigia to find the only known antidote to The Purple Death sickness, Polarite. Polarite is easy to find -- it melts the snow above it. Naturally, Mind sends "horrifying explosive mechanical men" -- yes, ROBOTS -- after Flash and the gang. Flash's girly-friend, Dale Arden, is a pretty good movie heroine. She's a chemist, radio-operator, and "most trusted agent." She does have a lamentable tendency to fall down, placing herself in Mortal Danger. Need I say that the costumes are FABULOUS?