Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Friday, January 03, 2003

Watched "The Omega Man" last night -- Charlton Heston as The Last Man On Earth. How is it that The Last Man On Earth in these movies always manages to get laid by the end? I submit that The Last Man On Earth does not exist; instead, it is always The Last Man On Earth Plus A Woman Who Looks Like A Supermodel. This is actually a very good movie, although I also often wonder why so many movie writers and directors choose to place their stories of post-apocalyptic mayhem within a stone's throw of modern time. The Omega Man was released in 1971, and the events therein take place in 1977. I suppose in 1971 the concept of video store movie immortality was unheard of, but what about The Terminator? That movie was made in 1984, and it places the almost-total destruction on mankind beginning in 1997. Surely in 1984 they knew this movie was destined to be rented in 2002? Of course, that story involves time travel and the changing of the future and let's not get started on that: I already have a headache. My husband likes to watch The Omega Man because of nostalgia -- when he was small, he watched it on late, late night TV with his cousin Nancy while on vacation. He says he was Very Scared by the freaky albino chanters. He thought they were going to come to the hotel and get him.

I need to start some new socks. I've gotten to the cable portion of the second AV pullover sleeve, and I now have to pay close attention, making it unsuitable for Internet knitting. I had the idea to use the rest of my Red/Yellow/Black/Blue Opal and the Dark Charcoal Dale Baby in combination. There is a beautiful pair of socks in Ethnic Socks and Stocking by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts that has a foot of exquisitely detailed stranded pattern in red, black and cream, and a leg that is plain cream with cable detail in the ribbing. I LOVE THESE SOCKS. Not only are they gorgeous, but I love the idea of socks where all the fancy is hidden in the shoe. They epitomize one of my favorite concepts -- beauty that has to be discovered. SO, taking off from that idea, I am going to use the charcoal Baby Ull for the legs of my socks, and use the striping Opal for the feet. We'll see how it goes. I hope I don't come up short of yarn. I hate starting projects using remnants and then having to go buy more to finish. It's very silly.