Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, January 11, 2003

I ate some yummy sushi today with my cousin Lana and we talked about blocking. I finally realized the true meaning of the words "block to measurements." When the wool is blocked, it "freezes," say, the sleeve cap and armscye, into pieces that fit together almost exactly. Thus, when they are sewn, they go together more easily and fall correctly when the garment is finished. My funnel-necked AV raglan will go together pretty much row-to-row PLUS the yarn is almost half acrylic (microfiber). An hour ago, I started sewing it together without having blocked it, which is pretty much what I had already decided to do, so all of the above may be pure rationalization.

Also, this afternoon I reworked the neck of the Homespun pullover with a needle two sizes smaller: I like this version a lot better. After I finish the sleeves and get it all sewn together, I may decide to make the neck a little taller, but, for right now, I'm happy with it.

SciFi Channel premiered a new show last night: Tracker starring Adrian Paul, and guest starring The Artist Formerly Known As Chyna, Joanie Laurer, as the villain. I think it has potential. The premise is good: Ultimate Bad Guy (I didn’t catch his name) opens a wormhole to Earth so that criminals can escape their home planet by taking over human bodies and blending in here, all the while causing mayhem and destruction. One presumes the Ultimate Bad Guy did this for Personal Gain. Adrian Paul is the alien here to track them all down. “Track,” -- TRACKER, get it? HA HA. Anyway, the production values aren’t exactly “B” -- I’d call them “A-” -- and I could really do without the British-accented, navel-baring girl who seems to be channeling Christina Aguilera, but I plan to keep watching.