Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Monday, January 06, 2003

I haven't mentioned much here about my other PIP (pullover in progress.) It's made of Lion Brand Homespun. I have a really dysfunctional relationship with this yarn. Its soft lustrousness seduces me so easily, but, GOD DO WE FIGHT! It splits like crazy, I can’t see my stitches, my feeding line backs up and bunches, the fabric wiggles when I try to measure, AAARGH! It drives me crazy and yet I keep going back for more. Are there shrinks for this? Perhaps a self-help book: Hateful Acrylics and the Women Who Love Them.

To add to the level of difficulty on this project, I am using a pattern for a turtleneck shell to make a mock turtleneck, long-sleeved pullover. During my coffee break at the office this morning, I worked on the problem of sleeves-from-scratch. I measured my wingspan from wrist to wrist, subtracted the width of the back piece I’ve already knitted, and divided what remained in half to get the length of each sleeve. Then I sketched out the sleeve cap, and deducted for the ribbing at the wrist and used the remaining length to plan my increases. Surprisingly, I only got stumped while trying to decide how big around to make the wrist. I decided on nine inches. When I got home I checked the pattern for the AV pullover and it used nine inches, too, so I’m going to go with that.

Brand new episode of Buffy tomorrow, then NO Buffy at all next week. Only one new episode aired in December and now I wonder if January will be the same. And what we’ve seen hasn’t been all that great. I was thinking the other day that if Buffy Season Seven were a novel I would have read the last chapter and taken it to the used bookstore by now. Season Three DVD collection will be available in stores tomorrow, too. Ah, the good old days.