Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, January 12, 2003

Last night, I watched the 1932 version of The Mummy and played with my Magicord machine. I asked for -- and got -- the Magicord machine for Christmas because I love to make bags. I thought it would be handy for straps and ties as it is basically a Barbie Knitting Machine for I-cord. It works really well. The only bad thing about it is that it can’t be used with any yarn heavier than sport weight. The other day, I got the idea of using very light weight yarn to make a few yards of I-cord and then knitting the CORD up into a swatch. So, I used the fingering-weight pink acrylic practice yarn that came with machine and now I have a little swatch of super-bulky pink I-cord yarn. It was interesting, but I’m not sure how practical it would be for a large project. I’d have to crank for A Very Long Time. A hat, though, might be possible.

I woke up this morning at 3 with an upset stomach (was it the lunch sushi or the Chinese Buffet Feast I had for supper?) and started thinking about Adrian Paul. I first saw him, when I was in high school in the 80s, in a syndicated TV show called War of the Worlds. This was a great show. Definitely B grade, though, with the whole production changing in the second or third season. The aliens' physical appearance, for instance, began as lumbering Snuffleupagus-like creatures with huge goggle-eyes. Later, they were in human form, albeit expressionless and paler than vampires. Adrian Paul appeared about the same time as the New Improved Aliens, and I can’t remember a lot about his character except that he was a mysterious Bad Boy type. I looked him up on the Internet Movie Database this morning to see if I could find out more about this show and discovered two things: there’s a rumor that it is going to be released as a DVD set later this year to promote a War of the Worlds movie event in 2003, and, the actress who played the little girl was Rachel Blanchard! I think I have one episode on videotape somewhere in this house which I will look for today. I used to have several but this is an example of a Lesson Learned. If you don’t take all your crap with you when you leave home, all your videotapes get taped over. Children take note.