Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, December 22, 2002

Long, long ago (three years?) when I first started knitting on double-pointed needles, I read somewhere on the wonderful World Wide Web how to avoid ladders in the work at the needle joins. The key was in the position of the needles: which was on top and which was on bottom. It worked beautifully and I never had a ladder until, earlier this year, I suddenly started seeing ladders in my socks. I couldn't figure it out. I could not understand why I should have ladders after years without them.

Now, tonight, as I sat here knitting on the toe of Regia sock 2, I took a really good look at it. I think I've been holding my needles wrong! Somehow, somewhere, I had switched back my needle position and had Never Noticed. My mind is boggled by this. How did this happen? Did my cranial computer have a power failure, and then lose info when it rebooted? I'm sure I had that data saved.

As I mentioned, I finished sock 1 and began sock 2 today. Since I'm doing these socks toe up, I was worried about my bind-off. I ALWAYS bind off too tight and I particularly wanted this leg edge to be loose so it would fit comfortably. I got out my Book of Knowledge (Vogue Knitting) and selected the “knit two purl two bind off,” which I had seen done but never tried myself. It worked! I thought as I started that it had so many steps I would never get it memorized, but towards the end I found I was no longer looking at the book.

My elbow is feeling better, so I hope to resume work on the AV pullover soon. I also have a yellow glove to finish. I’m just not interested in working on gloves when I don’t need them. It is so foolish because, as soon as it gets really cold, I will want my new gloves RIGHT NOW.