Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, December 26, 2002

Merry Day After Christmas!

My Silk City Gummy came today. This is the first ribbon yarn I've had, and I admit I was a little hesitant. I had this idea that I would be expected to keep the ribbon flat while working. Before I ordered it, I dug out the issue of Interweave Knits with the article on ribbon yarn by Shirley Paden (who I greatly admire), and read to get a professional opinion. Shirley Paden's professional opinion is that twisting is fine. Hot damn!

Gummy is lace weight: sometime soon half of this batch will be a Pacific Northwest Shawl for my sister-in-law (who doesn't know about this blog.) "Splash" turned out to be more blue than green, and it is a little bluer on one side of the ribbon, and a little greener on the other. I think it is going to work up beautifully. I want to swatch it RIGHT NOW, but I'm making such good progress on the Knotty-but-Nice AV pullover that I hate to put it down.

We went ahead and took off for the movies about 11am Christmas Eve to see The Two Towers. The weather was clear, but forecasts were ominous. When we left the theater, there was already a couple inches of snow on the ground and the sky was POURING snow. The trip home, which would usually take about 50 minutes, took an hour and 45 minutes. Why did we do that? Are we CRAZY?

The movie was AWESOME. It was wonderful, cool, spectacular, fabulous, amazing, thrilling, exciting, uh, cool, uh, hold on, I need a thesaurus...It was magnificent, superb, breathtaking, fantastic, electrifying.... Really, I could go on and on.