Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Monday, August 23, 2004

Returned home last night from a Stitches Midwest Knit Weekend Extravaganza. I got to meet Carolyn IN PERSON (how cool is that?) and I shopped and was educated.

My class was Bloomin’ Knits, taught by Kathleen Power Johnson who was very nice and a good teacher. Our topic was embroidering on knitted fabric, which I am very interested in. Remember the Chinese Fish of Prosperity Bag?



See how I’ve never gotten around to doing the trim? And check out my French Market Bag



I made it out of remnants and I think it needs some fancy work in the worst way. Of course, all this is just paving stones leading me to Embroidery Glory



That’s right. The Indian Floral Vest which I want with all my heart and have all the materials for and am rather scared of.

So I took this class and discovered that I knew more than I thought I did. I did learn some good info on backing the fabric, and transferring the design onto the material and different kinds of embroidery threads. Wanna’ see my swatch?



That is some basic stitches on the felted swatch from our materials packet. Not too bad. I guess I am just going to have to practice, practice, practice. I still have the homework swatches I made for the class because we didn’t really get a chance to use them and a bunch of threads that she gave us. But I have a lot of knitting to do first. Did you see my sidebar? That doesn’t even include the pile of Baby Ull that arrived in the mail before I left for a baby blanket for a baby who is due in October.

My only Yarn Fair regret: I took my digital camera but got so caught up I didn’t even think to take any pics of me and Carolyn or me and Lana or the market or my class or anything. When I went two years ago I took my old-fashioned camera and snapped 24 pics of me and Lana and Stitches and got home to realize there was no film in the camera. I can be such a goof.