Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Mananita is complete! I was going to wait till it dried and take a pic of it on me, but, I know there are those of you who enjoy such things, so I offer now a Detail of Mananita Blocking:
 

 
I took a Full Extent pic but it wasn’t good enough to headline.
 
Shall I confess my sin? I was supposed to have 400 stitches on the needles when I began the applied edging. I didn’t count them. (You’ve guessed the end of this story already now, haven’t you?) At the end of the edge (and two evenings and most of today) I was two stitches short. Of course I WANTED to cry. Instead, I spent many, many, many, many minutes (hours?) trying to figure out what had gone wrong while simultaneously trying to figure out if I could finish it the way it was without it looking DREADFUL.
 
I found one of the lost in the last row of lace patterning: YO failure. Never did find the other, but I honestly don’t think I dropped it. My guess is I misplaced it on the first row of the applied edge where I had to cast on 5 stitches provisionally, then work the first row of the edge pattern.
So, for your further viewing pleasure, here is my Dirty Secret (Who Needs Four Stitches, Anyway?) Edge End
 

 
I’ve convinced myself that grafting job doesn’t look any worse as it is than it would have anyway. You can also see in that pic where my YO Failure occurred. Never say you don’t get Full Disclosure here. I do it all for Science.