Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Does ripping count as progress? I’m inclined to think it is, because it clears the way, physically and mentally. Last week I ripped Square Play. This project was yet another example me falling for a pattern because it was interesting rather than because I wanted to own the finished object. I worked most of the front, and that was enough. Now I have FOUR balls of that Magic Stripe yarn in the same colorway: don’t know what I’m going to do with it all.

Today, I’ve been casting a Grim Eye on this:



That is the rudimentary beginning of a cute mini-tote from the Fall Family Circle Easy Knitting. You may recall I mentioned buying the Provence for it a little over a week ago. Once I had the yarn in hand, I had the brilliant idea of making the tote reversible, since it was designed in double-knit stitch. (Props to Cast-On for their recent article on double-knitting with two colors.) I still love the idea and the little tote, but the combination of the unyielding cotton and the double-knit stitch (and my current work project) is playing hell on my wrists and elbows. I haven’t ripped it, yet, though. I decided to stash it for a while and work on other things then see if I want to come back to it.

I may not get back to it until next year, however. That Hot Summer color scheme is not entrancing me now like it did a week ago. For the last several days I’ve felt less and less Pink and Orange and Red and more and more Navy and Green and Grey.

And so, I present



Dale Aberdeen and samples of the Sisk to make it up with. I bought that last year, I think, and my mind has been dwelling on it of late. That will Definitely be the next thing I start after I finish the Rowan Linen Drape Ribby Twinset. To get myself moving again on the Twinset, I’m going to order a second #3 bamboo needle tomorrow so I can work on both the Tee and the Cardigan at once. In case you think I’m nuts, I recognize that working on both at once is not going to result in less physical time expended. It is a psychological effect I’m reaching for: keeping me motivated and moving forward.