Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I think I have documented here my preference for shaping at the edges of a piece by working the increase or decrease one stitch in from the edge. I do it because I like to have a nice, even edge to seam with and pick up stitches in. Trying to work into a k2tog or between a m1 gets on my nerves.

Now that I’ve set it up, you wanna see something Awful?



That is the Lacey Tee where I had to pick up stitches for the neckline. My nice, even column of stitches is pulling away from my decreases and making Big Ugly HOLES. See how it does on the reverse:



I don’t really know why this is happening, but I wonder if it is a characteristic of the Linen Drape yarn. It is very smooth and rather “slick” and has no elasticity at all. My main concern, though, is what to do about it. Here at the neckline, I think I can fudge it by pulling the stitches on the wrong side through and either crocheting over them or slipstitch crocheting along beside them to hold them in place. However, I did ALL my shaping the same way: the armscyes, the sleeves and the waist -- ALL OF IT. I THINK the crochet seaming techniques will carry me all the way home but I am not sure, by any means. I do know I am not ripping this out and starting over from the very beginning. No way.