Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Remember Peggy?

Check this out:

Is that not lovely? Three cheers for Polly and her generous sharing of Liberty Loot. I now have 20 balls of gorgeous dark salmon Jaeger Aqua -- enough for Peggy and probably a tank besides. Joy!

The Fall mags are rolling in. I have FCEK, Vogue and Interweave Knits. I expect Knitter’s sometime around Thanksgiving. Here are my absolute fave designs from all three:

And I won’t be making any of them. Both the green cuff-to-cuff and the red Asian-style sweaters are classic examples of me liking the design more than the garment. I did give serious thought to the red sweater, particularly since I have that yarn in my stash, but I realized it was a bad shape for me. I’m narrow on top and I don’t like boxy sweaters. I also stared at the beautiful flower-burst pullover for a long time, then asked myself, “Do I really want to knit a project that is 80% full-on, unrelieved stockinette at a gauge of 7.5 stitches per inch?” And the answer was, “No. I really don’t.”

I am making Serious Progress on my Lacey Tee. I may have it done before my second #3 needle arrives and then I won’t need it anymore. (I messed around and didn’t order it till Friday.) I did, however, order the new needle in 29” length and the one I have now is 24”. That seemed more sensible than having two the exact same size. I’m thinking about working both the fronts, and then both the sleeves, of the Ribby Cardy at the same time, so, in that case, the longer needle will come in handy. I get so weary of constantly checking my shaping on Piece #1 when I’m working Piece #2. I’ve worked both sleeves a project at once another time, and I got bugged by having two balls of yarn dangling from needles at once. That needs to change, though, because I wish to expand my colorwork skills in the future. Everyone knows colorwork means lots o’ dangly yarn.

Speaking of which, I watched a very un-thrilling thriller the other night -- Secret Window. The only thing interesting in the movie can be seen HERE. No, I don’t mean Johnny, I mean THAT SWEATER. Ultra-Cool Vintage Argyle Stuff, no? I’ve glance around in my Scarily Large Vintage Pattern Collection to see if I could find something like it, and No Dice Yet. (I guess my Collection isn’t Scarily Large enough. Must work on that.)