Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Reviewed my last post: boy, I made us sound like a pair of can’t-stay-up-past-2am-lightweights didn’t I? So, I have to say, it was not the lateness of that particular hour that about did us in -- it was the cumulative effect of all the preceding hours: three to drive to St. Louis, one walking around Union Station, one standing at Gate 6, four watching the game in the 90+ heat, and four to drive home.
 
Mananita applied edging has commenced!
 

 
I estimate 20 years 4 months and 19 days to completion. That may be an exaggeration. Actually, this scant progress has taken longer than I would have like because of the simple phrase, “slip 1.” I really think pattern writers should always specify WHICH way to slip, and, if the situation calls for it, whether the yarn should be in front or back. I know purlwise is the Default Slip Position, but for this edge, where the slips are next to the body of the work, I had a hard time deciding what was going to look best and yarn position was a factor. I’m getting WAY prettier results with a purlwise slip with the yarn in front than I got with a purlwise slip with yarn in back, or a knitwise slip with yarn either way. (You see I spent a lot of time on this: VH1 “I love the 90s” 1992-1994 to be painfully exact.) Now that I am actually moving forward instead of dithering around, I am sure I’ll make better time.
 
Is this any way to treat a nice book?