Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Trekked to River Wools, the newly opened yarn store in Terre Haute, Indiana, Thursday night. I think it is going to be very nice, although I didn’t find anything on my Must Have Soon list there. Bought some sock yarn, though



because, honestly, when do you ever have enough sock yarn? [That Lorna’s Laces is called "Grays Corner" and the Steinback Wolle (new brand for me) Strapaz Multi is called "126."]

Reviewed my recent posts and I have a few additions and clarifications that you may or may not be interested in.

The completed Lola poncho-thing, which was designed for Rowan Handknit DK cotton, was knit by me with Bernat Handicrafter Cotton. I had a huge, gigantico (I made that word up,) 14 oz skein that was being marketed for Extreme Dishcloth Knitting. I used about half. A side note on Lola: I hate making fringe with all my heart.

I have said I am using Cotton Fine for the Mananita, but I don’t think I ever said that the color is called "Chamois." I bought two cones of it off eBay (last year, I think): I think it was discontinued. I liked the color because it reminded me of jean stitching -- I wanted to make a shawl for jeans. Now, about the pattern: at some time long after I got confused about working into the Great Big Eyelets and sorted myself out with the Swansen Handknitting book, I actually read the text of the pattern. (Prior to that, I had skimmed the text and read the chart.) I discover that the same instructions as the Handknitting book are written in the Shawls and Scarves pattern (k1, p1 for 18 stitches,) even though that is not what the chart notes say. Perhaps that will teach me to read more thoroughly. (Or not.)

The colorway of Lion Brand Magic Stripes I am using for Square Play is called Denim Stripe. I had a ball of this in my sock yarn stash already, but I went ahead and bought three new balls of matching dye lot for the tank. I don’t know if different dye lots would have mattered in terms of stripe width for this project, but in terms of color shading it would. Three balls was the amount specified by the pattern for all sizes but I’m not going to use much of the third it looks like. I am more than half way done with the front of my size small now (19 of 29 squares,) and I’ve only used about 55gms of the first 100 gm ball.

Ready to spend my holiday weekend playing in yarn. Celebrate Independence wherever you are.