Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, August 24, 2003

My Yarndiva cousin Lana wanted more detail about why I preferred the garter selvedge to the plain stockinette I used to like best.

An important point is that both recent instances where I used the garter selvedge, the piece itself was stockinette. When I really think about it, I believe the main advantage was the contrast between the selvedge and the main body of the knitting. It really stood out while I was seaming and I didn’t have any of that trouble where I accidentally poke my needle into the NEXT column of stitches and get an uneven seam.

Another good point about the garter selvedge is the Bumps. There are distinct, evenly spaced, bumps at the end of every row which are very nice to match up when seaming two pieces the same length (like the front and back), or to count for drawing in one piece that is a different length from one you are seaming it with (like the sleeve cap.)

That said, I think if I were doing a garment of garter stitch, I’d go back to the stockinette selvedge. Again, because of the contrast.

By the way, LANA has finished all the pieces of Scamp, started the IWK Mandalay Medallions pullover and recently purchased, on sale, some Rowan Summer Tweed in GREEN (of which I am quite envious) but you won't read about any of it in her BLOG because it has now been a WHOLE MONTH since she's posted.

Speaking of going insane with the Capital Letters (I know I do), I was reading on-line reviews at Amazon about the Buffy the Vampire Slayer book, Chosen, over which I am vacillating. One of the primary criticisms about it is the terrible editing. They say it looks like the publishers just ran a cursory spell-check over it and ran it into the bookstores. My favorite example was that every instance of the word "first" is capitalized. Not only when referring to THE First (the First Evil) but also in sentences like "the First of September," or "let's try this First." Isn't that AWFUL?