Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

At Stitches Midwest last year, I heard a Knitter of Note lamenting the “good old days” of fitting sweaters: the garment was knit to the span of the midriff, instead of the chest, and the natural give of the fabric stretched and contracted over the contours of the body for a close fit. Nowadays, of course, we have “waist shaping.”

This has been on my mind lately as I’ve done a lot of Waist Shaping. I wonder if this is Progress or Regress. In a way, the old way makes sense and is easier, but what did women who were blessed up top do? Now, though, we are inundated with sweaters that cinch in at the waist, which is a problem for those who have none. I hope it occurs to them to just leave out the waist shaping and go straight up.

I forgot how much cotton yarn pulls at my arms. I won’t have the second Dresser Scarf Sock done by the weekend, but I may have it done by the time we break camp Sunday. Meanwhile, making progress on the Waist Shaping of the right front Bliss Ruffley Cardy.