Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, March 06, 2003

Stayed up past my bedtime Tuesday and finished the Shocking Pink Coif so I could wear it yesterday. (Today I wore the Sweater On Your Head Hat to cover my ears.) Got lots of compliments on the Coif and was pleased to find the Fuchsia Lamb's Pride is a Very Good Match for the Fuchsia stripe in my Kureyon scarf. The Coif was curling in a little, though, so I laid it out last night and misted it with water which blocked it fairly well. It really needs to be soaked good and laid out flat, though. Later! I want to wear it NOW.

I know I said I was going to start the Pacific Northwest shawl next, but I took a little detour last night with the Dresser Scarf Socks. I'd been swatching this Fixation since I brought it home Sunday, because the pattern insists you make a swatch then wait 24 hours to measure (so the elastic can contract fully.) After 3 stretches of 24 hours, I got impatient and just started the first sock on a 4 since the 5 left me a half stitch short. Perhaps you are thinking that, as the pattern calls for a size 5 needle, I should have done my first swatch with a 5? Alas, I almost always have to size up because I knit tight. I did my first swatch with a 7.

Ever since I saw Marilyn’s Crusoe Socks I’ve been wishing I’d gone ahead Sunday and bought the John Deere Koigu. (That’s shades of yellow with splashes of green for those of you who aren’t spending your lives on the Prairie. I should also say that is the name I gave it. As far as I know, the Landras don’t call it that.)