Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, February 13, 2003

My Fuzzy Feet did an odd thing. I've run them through two wash cycles so far and one Feet has come out smaller than the other. I suppose it could be due to the position they were in: if one was directly under the hot water as it ran into the machine tub, for instance. They're still not small enough, though, so I'm going to decide after the next cycle what to do to make them match.

HERE are some GORGEOUS Feet.

Went ahead and started the Retro-Prep Cardy last night even though I DID NOT sew up the finished pieces of the Homespun pullover first. (I’m so bad.) I knew I didn't want to deal with all the ends involved with cutting the yarn for each color change so I'm trying to carry the yarns up as I go. This is challenging when working in the round. Also, the magazine I own with Meg Swansen’s jogless join technique was upstairs and, since I was too lazy to go get it, I was trying remember as I went. All this is an explanation for why I had to rip out my 4" of work twice because I kept forgetting to increase. It is also a justification for my habit of always starting with a sleeve. Ripping 4" of sleeve hurts a lot less than 4" of body width -- or, in this case, full body circumference. (I actually start with a sleeve in case my gauge turns out different from my swatch. This DOES happen to me sometimes. I don’t know why.)

Folks here on the prairie are abuzz: for the first time in recorded County history we have SNOW ROLLERS. It seems that if weather conditions are exactly right, bits of snow are rolled across flat spaces by the wind, spontaneously forming snowballs. There was a beautiful crop where my husband works, but you may have noticed I don't have images here yet. So, to illustrate for you, I offer a link to pics of Snow Rollers in Kansas.