Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, February 15, 2003

Somewhere between the 478th and the 485th time I started this Stripey sleeve it occurred to me to check my gauge. Sure enough, I was off. I DID NOT throw it out the back door. I DID start YET AGAIN this morning with, finally, what appear to be the right size needles. Of course, by now I've lost interest in trying to carry the yarn up without cutting for the stripes. (My desire to do Meg Swansen's jogless join and move the starting point over one stitch at every color change then try to figure out if this affects how I count when I'm putting the sleeves and body together to do the yoke floated away with the wind Thursday.) SO, I AM going to cut and, more to the point, KNOT, at the color changes. I admit I’ve done this before (I feel like I am confessing a sin) only in very small doses. Last night, I remembered reading in Wendy’s blog about Knotting as a Technique, and thought, why not? (Is that a pun?)

I hunted around on the ’net and found a pic of a Retro-Prep Cardigan. This one was done in very lovely blue and green by Susan Willis at Sue's Kooky Knitting Extravaganza.