Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

The Adrienne Vittadini Knotty-But-Nice Trina Raglan Pullover With Cable Shoulder Detail is DONE DONE DONE. And it looks pretty damn good. I did find one more knot as I was weaving in ends. That makes the final count: 18 balls - 8 knots. This pattern featured hemming at the edges of body and sleeves, which was fun -- I'd never done that before.

As an added bonus, when I got done hemming, I was enjoying the rhythmic sewing so much that I picked up the tote bag I made a couple months ago and finally finished putting in the lining. This is the Patchwork Bag from a Classic Elite pattern. I substituted yarn with it -- the pattern called for two strands of worsted, but I used one strand of bulky. It looks quite a bit like a big patchwork pillow. Unfortunately, when I put my gear in it and slung it over my shoulder, the garter stitch strap stretched so that the bag was almost on the floor. Must call in some reinforcements there.

One sleeve of Homespun pullover DONE!

Total yuck Season Three Stargate episode on last night. The only thing worse than a Planet Idyll episode is Colonel O'Neill cut off forever (yeah, right) from the SCG on a Planet Idyll with a woman who ADORES him (see me batting my eyelashes in a mocking manner.) As Staceyjoy Elkins said recently in the Redlipstick Blog, in a similar context, it "makes me want to puke in my pocket with extreme boredom." On the other hand, URGO!! I LOVE URGO!! Dom Deluise is so sweet and hilarious in this episode. "Urgo" is actually one of the few eps I saw on Showtime when it first aired and it is one of my absolute favorites.

And how about Andromeda Sunday? Very good episode. As usual, it didn't all make sense to me, but in this case, I think they were referencing things that happened before I started watching the show, so it was me not they. I am just a sucker for Alternate Reality storylines. I think the idea of every action having impact beyond the obvious is a seductive concept. It gives so much power to the ordinary.

Another, absolute first-class, Alternate Reality story was on tonight: “The Wish” -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Three. Cordelia’s wish that Buffy had never some to Sunnydale is granted, showing us what Hellmouth Town would be like with no Slayer. It was so cool: Vamp Willow torturing Angel, the Council won’t take Giles’ calls, and Buffy’s prophesied death at the hands of the Master STILL comes true (because nothing foretold in Pergamum Codex does not come to pass -- even in alternate realities.)