Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, October 03, 2004

A bit of autumn clean up around here. What does a one-armed Lacey Tee look like? A bit like this:



I just CANNOT get a decent pic of that sweater -- don’t know why. I put it away along with the dark green Linen Drape for the Ribbed Cardy that is Part 2 of the set. More precisely, I put them at the end of the line. It has gotten chilly here and it will be Downright Cold any minute: I want to work on woolly things. I am still trying to finish up the Lace Crochet Dress in anticipation of scheduled Hot Vacations this winter, but other than that I’m moving straight to warm-weather sweaters. And hats. And legwarmers.

(I wish I could get oriented to making hot weather clothes in winter and warm clothes in summer. I think it would be more efficient. I can’t, though -- I respond to the weather outside like a compass points North. When it is cold, I want to make woollies and, when it is warm, I want to make lacey, half-naked things.)

In other tidying up news -- this is how far I got with the Camelot Socks before I decided to rip them:



The sample in this pattern was made with Koigu. You may recall I was subbing with Nature Spun. Nature Spun has its good points, but Soft Lustrousness is not among them. I was already dissatisfied with these socks when I went to the Yarn Fair, and shopped for Koigu or Shelridge Farms to re-start them with, but I couldn’t find the right colors. It can wait.

Something else I am about to rip:



That’s the Clock Vest from Folk Vests. I don’t know exactly how long it has been lying around here in that almost-finished state, but I started it when Matt and Rob were still in Bloomington. That is where I bought both the book and the Cascade 220.

I’ve gone on and on about this project here on previous occasions, so, quick recap: I was infatuated with that lovely, cabled back. Now that it is over I have no interest in this object. I will NEVER wear it. I want that Cascade 220.

It WILL hurt to rip it. I’m planning to do it today, because I have a pile of hand washing scheduled for this afternoon and that with be a good time to wash the wool also. If I’m not too tired (read: bored) after that, a sudsy bath may be in store for 11 skeins of this:



I have 20 of this (discontinued) Rowan Recycled Chunky in Bottle Green. I picked these up half-price at Yarn Fair 2002, the first year it was in Chicago. I’ve been wondering what to do with it since then and now I have some Big Ideas. (Hint: Yorkshire Fable.)