Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, September 12, 2004

I know I just took it down, but I want to note that I’ve changed my mind: if I were assigned to a year on the International Space Station I’d take to read the complete journals and letters of the Lewis and Clark expedition. My husband and I listened to the first three CDs of the Essential Lewis and Clark this weekend at the campsite and it is fascinating stuff. It is really interesting to hear them describe an animal they have never seen before when you know what it is because you see it all the time. Like a coyote.

Another interesting part is how they describe the different cultures and social mores of the separate Indian tribes they encounter. I assume both Lewis and Clark were familiar with the concept of Man as Lord and Master and Woman as Chief Domestic Servant, considering the time in which they lived; and yet both thought it worth remarking that the men of some native tribes put women on the same level as mules or dogs or even tobacco. They worked them like slaves and traded them like any ordinary commodity. This is probably why Sacajawea didn’t notice that her French husband was a first-rate asshole.

Speaking of the International Space Station (which we were): an awesome thriller that takes place on the ISS is Gravity by Tess Gerritsen. But don’t read it if you can’t handle the blood.

Knitting? Zipping along on the Baby Blanket Gift. As soon as I get it done, I’ll be able to concentrate on other things: Christmas gifts, my WIPS and things I want to start, like Lisette and the Lily Chin crocheted lace dress. Time is going by too quickly.