Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

This is not the best photo I took of the completed Lacey Tee back. It IS the only one The Cat Amelia chose to be in, and I’ve been concerned that I have been a Negligent Knit Blogger in that I’ve had pictures here for days and days now and not yet post a Cat Photo.



Preliminary notes on the Lacey Ribbed Tee:

I’m a tad bugged by the fact that the pattern isn’t centered. It is an eight-stitch pattern repeat based on 2x2 rib with eyelets, but the designer didn’t add the extra two stitches it would have taken to make the end match the beginning. Thus, when the seams are joined, at the point of the first increase, an eyelet column is going to be sewn to a plain column.

Also, the selvedge is a k1, p2 at the beginning and a p2, k1 at the end. Again, when the seam is joined, for the whole waistband and first rows, there is going to be a column of 4 purls. And then comes the aforementioned Unmatching Increases. Another seaming concern I have is what is going to become of the eyelets right next to the selvedge. I went ahead and worked them. My seams may look holey.

I ended the back with just a dab of yarn left on ball three. I had also a bit left from the point of the KNOT at the end of ball two. I think I’m going to have enough yarn, but I’m pretty sure it is only going to be Just Enough.

Some notes about The Cat Amelia:

Amelia came to live with us almost two years ago from the Humane Society. Her name was “Tiger” then, which seemed a tad prosaic, so I re-named her Amelia after the Intrepid Victorian Female Archeologist Amelia Peabody Emerson. After we got to know each other a lot better, I realized the name was not suited to her personality. I think I should have given her a Regency Princess name, like Eugenie. Or a Fifties Debutante name, like Belinda.

Amelia is not interested in knitting, although she has, on very rare occasions, expressed appreciation of the smell (I presume) of wool. She only looked at the Tee back because I laid it on the floor. Then she was gone. Mostly, she does not seem aware the knitting or the yarn exists at all. What is she interested in? The couch, the bed, the blue chair, the upstairs bed, the corner of the Book Room, and the rug under the dining room table. Also Iams cat food, Friskie cat treats (ONLY the ones in the pink bag,) looking out the window, and grooming herself. And she likes my husband. She also likes me, but if she had to choose, she would choose him.