Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, January 03, 2004

I have long thought that Scottish is one of the Great Underrated Sexy Accents, and now I have a new poster boy for my Campaign of Recognition: Gerard Butler, aka the Hot Guy Sidekick of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider II, which I bought on DVD recently. I see by Gerard's IMDb filmography that he has actually been in several movies I've seen, including Wes Craven's Dracula, which is not a very interesting movie except that it puts forth the idea of Dracula as the Condemned Immortal Judas Iscariot. That is not the first time I've encountered that idea in fiction: there was a novel called Virgin with an AWFUL ending that starred Judas as a CI whose duty was to guard the mortal remains of the Virgin Mary and, if he does a good job, maybe someday he'll be forgiven. As interesting as that is, Judas as the First Vampire is just a little more, I think. In Maggie Shayne’s yucky vampire romance novels, the First Vampire is Gilgamesh. That is also interesting, and Maggie Shayne really is a very good writer (I like all her other books,) but, unfortunately, her stance on the Fabulousness of Being a Vampire is off-putting to me.

Was I going to talk about knitting today?

Oh yes, all the pieces of the Silk Garden Cardy are knitted. Instead of using eight balls of this yarn I decimated nine. Had a little trouble matching for stripes but I think that was primarily inefficiency on my part. If I had practiced better management at the beginning, I believe it would not have been necessary to steal just one stripe from ball number nine at the very end of the last piece. I also made two swatches from various remnant pieces for blocking practice: one to wet-block and one to “press” since that is what the instructions direct.

Placed my Mountain of Rowan order Monday. She said she didn't have enough of the Linen Drape, so that is backordered but everything else is on the way as of yesterday. (Woodland Woolworks was closed for inventory this week.) It is coming UPS so I gave her my office address. I hope I'm there to get it, but I'm skating on the edge of sickness again. Hopefully, it won't get too bad. I hate winter.

Also bought some Paton’s Grace this week from Herrschner’s -- the sample yarn for yet another of the Folk Bags, but no details here as it is a gift for someone who reads my blog about once every six months or so.

And, what the hell, I went ahead and started Core.