Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, December 07, 2003

Sorry for the dearth of posts lately. I've been in a mean mood and I’ve been trying to limit my interpersonal contact so No One Gets Hurt. A bit perkier today, but I should probably apologize in advance for any grouchiness that may find its way into this entry.

A work friend hosted one of those fancy food parties this week and I bought lots and lots of spices, mixes, sauces, etc to make a Christmas gift basket for my husband's father and stepmother. While I was thinking of other things to throw in (candles, little Heath toffee bars) I remembered the soft-boiled egg cozies in Weekend Knitting (photo featured in Seattle Times' harsh book review.) I don't really know anyone who serves soft-boiled eggs in little cups, but I thought the mini-sweaters were funny. I've finished one, and while I'm certainly nowhere near Minako's league (her work is rather like art), I think it is pretty cute.

Coincidentally, that same Seattle Times article begins with a review of Stitch N'Bitch, a book I inspected while shopping yesterday and decided not to buy. It seemed most of the text was devoted to Knitting Instruction. Not only do I already know all that stuff, I have at least five books already with that same information. I did like the patterns a lot, but I quailed a bit when I saw one of my favorites was designed by the woman who thinks a 40” sweater should be a size XL. This book also inspired me to include, along with “funky,” the word “hip” on My List of Words That Really Irritate Me.

Speaking of Standardized Sizing in Knitting Patterns, my new issue of Knitter's indicates they haven't gotten the hang of it yet. According to their fancy new Specifications Charts, Standard Fit is bust size plus 2-4". At 34" that places me in the range of 36-38" for Standard Fit. Pattern Cinnabar, the only one in the magazine I looked at three times, 34 1/2" is a Medium and 38" is a Large. Fine, except in pattern Vermilion, which I liked okay, 34 1/2" is Extra-Small and 38" is Small. Both are tagged "Standard Fit." What is the point of giving them size designations at all? I think there is No Point to size designations. The idea of including fit information in patterns was a Great Idea. With that information, and the finished measurements, I feel I can choose what size to make. This XS, S, M and L nonsense is making a mess of things.

Eeeek. In proofing this post I see I accused the Seattle Times of being harsh to Weekend Knits, then I myself was rude to Stitch N’Bitch. I criticized poor Melissa Lim for calling 40” a Large, then said I thought size designations were foolish. I was going to close with a promise to post more often in the coming week. Perhaps I should promise not post again until I feel a little less Lucy.