Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Friday, December 12, 2003

Rowan Plaid is So Soft and So Pretty it deserves to be a lovely, chunky sweater worn right next to the skin. Alas, I have only two balls. But I wouldn't have those if I hadn't made a great trade with Kerrie -- some of my superfluous sewing patterns for her Plaid -- and now I'm going to have a Luxury Scarf. This color is Sea Mist, which is one ply of almost charcoal, one ply of almost taupe and one ply of almost blue-gray. Plaid is 28% “superfine” alpaca. I worship the alpaca.

For a good bulky yarn gauge, I have to use #13 needles, so I unearthed some rather ancient wood needles that were among the stash passed onto me by my husband’s grandmother. (Not his stepfather’s mom, who gave me her stash wool in red hues in a plastic grocery sack, but his mother’s mom whose stash included 3 pairs of vintage wood needles [#11, #13, and #15,] a pattern booklet circa 1930s and 2 garbage bags full of 50-year-old wool.) As I work with these needles, my eyes keep falling on a name written on the side of one in ink, “L. Clark.” I wonder who she was. She must have been a friend because I don’t know of any Clarks in the family. I may call my mother-in-law sometime and ask if she knows. I admit this woman who used to own these needles captures my imagination now and then and I’m curious about what SHE made with them. I, of course, am currently making a Plaid scarf in a simple broken rib pattern (1x1 rib alternated with a row of knit plain.)

Bottom of French Market Bag is done and I’m about one-fourth way up the side. I’m going to felt the #1 Booga Bag today sometime. May report later how it goes.

My cat thinks the Christmas tree was erected just for her to crouch under. I’m sure she appreciates the soft, snowy white cloth we laid beneath it for her comfort, too. I don’t know what she’s going to think when we have decorations and presents.