Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, February 05, 2004

Mission Falls 1824 doesn't stand up to repeated frogging as well as one might hope.

I'm about to begin my first row of Camel Bag loop stitch for the fifth time. Not because I can't loop stitch (believe me, I can loop stitch all the way to town and back now,) but due first to pattern problems and then to mine own goofer.

Pattern for Camel Bag specifies on the loop stitch row to k1, loop stitch, then repeat across. I began the first time doing same and ended with sparse looping. It seemed from the picture that I didn't have near enough loops, so I ripped and redid the row looping all across. Then I began the stranded colorwork immediately above and four rows later I realized that section was drawing inward. As I studied it, I decided my stranding wasn't too tight; the loop stitches were making that row poofy. I ripped and redid it back the first way, decided it was ugly and ripped again. Before I began for the fourth time, I thought about sticking a knit plain every five or six loops to tamp down the poofiness, but since I'd spent hours studying the pic I had observed the sample bag waved in and out at the edges according to loop rows and stockinette rows. It also occurred to me that for this project strict rectangularity was not necessarily desirable. The bumpiness rather added to its charm. So I looped the fourth time, began the colorwork, the first row didn't work out right by the chart and I discovered I had DROPPED A STITCH on the loop row after the SIXTH loop.

So, Time Five will commence shortly. Like I said, the bright side is I can now loop stitch rings around the house.

The Birthday Gift was finally Gifted last night so I can add the Folks Bags Korea bag to my sidebar. This was the sweet little bag made of Paton’s Grace, coral with melon drawstring and melon embroidery. I had to work hard on the embroidery but it was worth it: I loved the Finished Object and I am getting good at embroidering on knits. I’m glad -- I’m a fool for embroidery.

On the subject of the Folk Bags Sidebar, that is, of course, not ALL the Folk Bags -- just the ones I have materials for in hand. I will also note there are actually bags in the book I don’t plan to make. Not too many, I admit.