Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Monday, January 26, 2004

Tah-Dah! Brand new problem with the Silk Garden Cardy: when I grafted the sides I ended up a half-stitch off a perfect stitch-to-stitch match. It became apparent when I was working the third row of the crochet edging and suddenly decided to take a look at the Right Side. What to do? I ask myself. There is no good way to bury it in the edging: I think that will make my cardy too short in back. I can take the grafting out and try again, but is it worth it? I will have to undo the sleeve seams at the underarms and re-graft both sides. And, because grafting is what it is, it might not work. Another knitter is going to see this mistake right away, I think, but I really doubt if the general public will.

Which brings me to the article “Are You A Fussy Knitter?” by Meg Swansen. I scanned this when I first got my Winter Vogue, but I read it through this morning while waiting for pages to load during Blog Reading Time. I would have to say I am definitely a Fussy Knitter. I’m not sure I’m an example to the “psychotic” extreme, but I fit the profile as she defined it.

Bought Knit ‘N Style Magazine at the bookstore this weekend. I very rarely buy this magazine because they are devoted to Novelty Yarns and I am NOT. However, it had several things in it I like. SUMMER things, no less. Here’s a gripe, though: they don’t always give the yardage of the sample yarn. Based on the way their advertising is designed, I think they don’t want to encourage the reader to substitute.