Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Friday, May 16, 2003

One 50gm ball of Weird Green yarn made four good-sized swatches, just in case you were wildly interested.

My husband's bonus check arrived within days of the income tax refund check. I need to stake my claim on a portion of the bounty before the Great Kennel Project begins and it all disappears. Wish list: sweater design software, yarn for the Sashiko Jacket and, just for kicks, the kit for the Norsk Strikkedesign Blue Princess Sweater (in anticipation of the day when I become a Completely Insane Knitter.)

Figuring out what yarn to buy for the Sashiko jacket has been a challenge. It requires DK wool in three hues of dark blue plus Charcoal and Natural. I'm leaning toward Cleckheaton Country 8, but I took a hard look at Jamieson DK. Both met the gauge requirements, but I read once (I think it was Debbie Bliss) that when substituting one should calculate the yardage per gram for the yarn to compare actual weight (of yarns of the same fiber.) Country 8 was a lot closer, but it occurred to me that the Jamieson may be "fuzzier" and that is why it is lighter but knits at the same gauge. I'm not sure -- I've not really taken time to handle it when I've been in its presence.

Progress being made on the Corset Pullover, but there are no D-rings at Wal-Mart. That is one thing that sucks about life on the Prairie: Wal-Mart is the only general store within 60 miles. If they don't have it, you just don't get it. To finish the CP I need D-rings for the straps. I have to go to the Big City for a doctor's appointment next Wednesday but I hope to be ready for them this weekend. I could try to go Saturday, but I hate to make that trip twice in one week.

If anyone thinks I admire Hee Seop Choi just because he is big and tall and handsome, I have to say that is Just Not True.