Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Monday, April 07, 2003

Wendy noted recently that, when steeking color work for a cardigan, the color changes are placed along the point where the front steek will be cut. That way, you don't have to worry about your ends, which is very sensible and logical. The Interweave Knits Retro-Prep Cardigan places the beginning of the rounds behind the left shoulder and, thus, the ends. Not only is this a pain in the ass as far as ends go, but it also makes the neck shaping way more awkward than it has to be. When I read the pattern before I started, I could see how this was going to end up. I thought about trying to change it before I put the sleeves on, but I knew I was then going to have to recalculate all the yoke decrease points and everything. I was too timid to try it since this was my first yoked sweater. Now that I have experience, I will definitely change this if I run across it in the future.

I have the Retro-Prep Jailbird Cardy all done but the steekin'. My ends are woven and my underarms are grafted (they look GOOD -- I surprised myself.) I am not, however, going to steek tonight. Too much to do around the house -- I don't want to try it while I'm tired. Instead, tonight I'm going to swatch for the Corset Pullover and maybe start a sleeve if all goes well.