Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Saturday, February 14, 2004

Busy week! Same knitting, though, only in Slow Motion because my arms have been hurting still. I tried to put the sleeve of Core on a circular needle but my gauge was markedly different. I figured it would be -- I didn't use that circ in the first place because I was getting best gauge on my plastic straights, but I figured I should try.

Road trip Thursday: no work because I am employed by the government in the Land of Lincoln. Hooray! My good pal Brandy wanted to go to Champaign to pick up some books she'd bought from an Ebay seller and invited me along. We picked up said books, feasted on fajitas at TGIFriday's and went to a Very Nice Yarn Store. It was Needleworks and I found it in the Knitter's Shopfinder. I wanted to buy everything in sight, but I stopped myself with 5 skeins of Cascade 220 in 5 different colors, and some Classic Elite Maya they still had on their shelf to put with the Maya I still have in my stash. The Cascade 220 is for the Bohemian Pouch in Interweave Knits and the Maya is for a felted bag I have had on my list to do for a while. (You know I just don’t have enough bags.)

I also bought a #3 bamboo circ for the Linen Drape Ribbed Cardigan I'm making after Core. That's right -- the Linen Drape arrived earlier this week and it is wonderful. Beautiful color. I had to swatch it right away. I knew in an instant I was going to need a wooden needle to work it, though: the stitches jumped right off my metal needle. And one negative: the plies FLY apart.

We also went to Barnes & Noble in Champaign and I bought Cast On, Piecework and a mag I hadn't seen before called Knitting. When I got into it, I saw it was only issue #3. It is produced in England and I liked it a lot. There was a nice variety of projects. I liked best the Fair Isle cardigan of Jamieson & Smith subtle blues and lilacs. I am definitely making a Fair Isle cardigan come fall, but I am still leaning toward the Cover Model of Rowan 28 as my first choice.