Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, November 13, 2003

The power was off here on Green Acres last night so, not only was I unable to post, I couldn't read My Favorite Blogs, either. I walked around in a daze. "What do I do without the internet?" I think I must be very spoiled. And foolish -- one of the bylines of a Rural Electric Cooperative is you don't really get to take your power for granted. Especially when it is WINDY. (Or stormy, or snowy, or icy....)

I did knit, and my husband read, by the light of the camp lantern (which really illuminated the kitchen.) I'm onto the back of the Silk Garden Cardy -- more details on this interesting back later. As I moved through the third ball of yarn (no knot yet, one each for the first two balls) I realized that I had made a misjudgment on the sleeve. Somehow I missed that there are TWO pinks in this colorway. I ended the first ball after a dark pink stripe and started the new ball after the light pink stripe. They both fade into green -- one sort of emerald and one sort of bright green.

HOWEVER, I was concerned about the sleeve stripes. This color pattern extends three-fourths of the way along the length of the sleeve. I was afraid I was going to end up with the second sleeve exactly the same, except three stripes off, which to me would look like a mistake. I was trying to figure how to get a more "random" look.

Why are the photos of this sweater Artistically Blurry in the pattern book? Do they realize this is not helpful? I want see the colors on the sample and I want to see them Really Well. I also can’t tell if their yarn is as “slubby” as mine. (I like the slubs -- they really say Silk to me, but I was curious.)