Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, October 26, 2003

I'm back! Had a wonderful camping vacation. I hiked a thousand miles, ate a TON of food, and rode a HORSE.

I also knit socks. Finished the Rainbow Brite socks and one and half socks from some of my St. Louis Sock Yarn Spree. Schoeller Esslinger Fortissima Colori 1000 in Farbe 524 which is so beautiful it deserves to be a lace shawl: burnt orange, walnut, loden, raspberry, and grape. I took ombre yarn with me on this trip instead of self-patterning yarn because I am weary of stockinette. For these Fortissima socks I used a pattern of two rows stockinette alternated with two rows 2x2 rib for a nice waffled rib all the way to the toes. I also did the heel where you mark your place with waste yarn and then pull it out and put on a toe. The Rainbow Brite socks, you may recall, were Strong Heel Socks. Of all the heels I've tried, short rows are still my favorite. For my next pair, I'm going to use short row toes, also.

I can't forget to mention that the Fortissima socks are my first pair knit on two circulars. I have thought for a while I should learn this because it seemed it might be handier than dpns for Socks While Traveling. I reviewed Joyce Williams' article in the Summer 2000 Knitter's before I left. She points out that, once you can knit circularly on two needles, 2 24" needles of each size are all you need for almost anything you want to knit. The trickiest part for me is the first couple of rows. My end, feeding yarn, and needles get all tangled. Then I do fine.