Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Friday, October 31, 2003

A remark made recently by Lisa reminded me I haven't told you all yet what a fabulous book Knitting With Beads is. I didn't realize when I bought it that it was a new release. What attracted me to it in the store was I could see immediately that all the patterns in it could really stand alone as knit designs even without the beads. When I read it at home, I thought the instructions seemed really clear and the illustrations were good. I haven't tried anything from it yet, but the only disappointment I have right now is that there are so many patterns for sewing beads onto a knitted item. I am primarily interested in knitting beads in.

Speaking of fabulous books, my copy of Folk Bags came today. I am SO glad I just finished the pair of socks I was working on, because this book has completely turned my head away from socks as my small project preoccupation. I want to make nearly everything in this book, but I am starting with the Chinese Fish of Prosperity (a red fish-shaped felted shoulder bag), and the Irish Cables (a square shoulder bag with traditional cabling) because I have yarn in my stash that will work for these. I think I also have yarn that will suit the Irish Creel and the Tajikistan Tea House Sling Bag but some swatching is required before I know for sure. Besides, I want that fish first.

New Interweave Knits came this week. Good issue, but nothing in there is really singing my song. Not loud enough for me to hear anyway.