Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, November 09, 2003

Lots of good knitting this weekend. I covered the Clock Vest and put it in the closet to "marinade" a little while, Bonne Marie style. Sewed the hooks and eyes in the Ruffley Cardy and tried it on. Looks very good, except the body-skimming top I started four months ago now has about two inches of ease. Definitely a second-layer sweater -- which is good because it is COLD again. I’m going to wear it tomorrow.

I started something new -- the gorgeous side-to-side cardigan on the cover of the Bliss Noro Book. I am enjoying silk and mohair and spot-on gauge, because I am using the yarn the pattern was written for: Noro Silk Garden. Different colorway than the sample, though. Mine is #45: sort of "Springy" colors heavy on the pink and lilac and sky blue. Silk Garden is a Knitting Sensation. I’m pleased that I’m going to have a decent bit left. I bought enough (in May) for the 38” size -- nine balls plus one for safety -- and I’m making the 36” which calls for eight balls. I should have most of two left. I think I’ll make myself a little tam with the remnants.

Also, I’m almost done with the knitting part of my felted fish bag. One side complete and the second side complete up to the tail. Problem, though: every time I glance at the pattern and see the word “tailfin” that Nelly song about “shake your tailfeather” pops into my head and WILL NOT LEAVE. Interesting note about Nelly: I watched a bio show about him the other day (VH1 maybe) and they were talking about how the hip-hop establishment was suspicious of him because he wasn’t “urban.” He came from a “small town in the Midwest.” I was intrigued until it was later revealed the said town was ST. LOUIS. I admit it ain't L.A., but the Small Town in the Midwest I live six miles OUTSIDE OF contains, by the count of the last census, 1,580 people.