Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, May 22, 2003

The Prairie is crawling with turtles. Every few yards as you drive down the gravel roads and highways there's a turtle doing its best to get across. Why does the turtle cross the road? Breeding Season! Whenever I see one I get a bit tickled at it: plodding along, slow as molasses, Looking For Love.

As I was finishing the cups of the Beka Tank, I was a little perplexed by the term "edge st." On the chart, this is a square with a dot in it, and they run, of course, along the edge. I wondered how to work the "edge stitch" and apparently I am not alone. When I used Google, I found Kersten's somewhat tart letter to someone who asked the same question. I decided to use reverse stockinette on my edge because I hoped it would curl in and under, and, even if it didn't, it was consistent with the patterning leading up to it.

Now that Buffy is over, there is one less show on TV worth watching. So, since American TV is at its best when it's ripping off British TV, I hereby submit my Star Choice for an American version of Jonathan Creek. Ready? How about Buffy alumni and real-life lovers Alyson Hannigan and Alexis Denisof? I think it would be interesting to see Alyson combine that quirky thing she does so well with the almost-pathological ambition and aggression that is Maggie. Alexis is really too handsome, but he's done geeky before and I think he could strike the right Jonathan balance: cute, brilliant, repressed, neurotic. Hollywood, are you listening?

(Trivia Note: In the original pilot for Jonathon Creek, Jonathon's boss, Adam Claus, is portrayed by Anthony Stewart Head -- Buffy's Giles! In every subsequent episode, he is played by someone else.)