Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Finished a Marsan Watchcap. It is Way Too Small. If you looked at this pattern, you may have seen that she says it "doesn't really have [a gauge.]" Unfortunately, if you are the Tightest Knitter in the World you pretty much need a clue. Since I know I'm the tightest knitter in the world, I worked it on a needle one size larger than the #7 Staceyjoy used. I gave the hat to my friend Braden. He's four. It fits him pretty well.

A reader wrote and asked how I fixed my Knitter's Magazine Strong Heel Sock problem. Here it is if anyone else is interested:

(under Turn Heel, work short rows back and forth, etc....)
Row 1. K across first dpn (center of heel), k1, ssk, k1, turn
Row 2. Sl 1, p4, p2tog, p1, turn
Row 3. Sl 1, k5, ssk, k1, turn
Row 4. Sl 1, p6, p2tog, p1, turn
Rep row 3 and 4, etc, etc. as written.

I went back to the Knitter's website to see if I could find their corrections to compare to mine. Still can't find 'em.

Mini-shopping spree in St. Louis yesterday! Bought 4 sock yarns (which I justified to myself with the words, “I know I already have a lot of sock yarn, but I don’t have any of THIS kind.”) I also got the Fall 2003 Adrienne Vittadini patternbook, which has many lovely things in it suitable for work, and the Paton’s Ponchos and Wraps book, which contains my future new poncho.

Did you think I forgot I wanted a poncho? How could I with Poncho Knitalongs going on? I’m going to use stash yarn -- Rowan Recycled Chunky in Bottle Green, which I bought last year at the Yarn Fair (Stitches Midwest.) I got 20 hanks of it, which should be plenty for the little poncho and another sweater besides. The yarn was on clearance. Perhaps they don’t make it anymore. Too bad -- I like the concept of recycled yarn.