Rocket Science

Space Is For Knitting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Midwest, United States

Sunday, April 20, 2003

An entertaining time was had by all in Houston -- except perhaps for the first day when Brandy, my great pal and Texas traveling buddy, ended up with three-year-old son vomit all over her. TWICE -- morning AND evening. Of course, our husbands took us to Texas because THEY had to go for work training. It’s possible they didn’t have as much fun as us. But we all got to go to the Kemah Boardwalk, the Johnson Space Center, and we toured the Battleship Texas.

While the guys were in school, Brandy and I SHOPPED. Mostly for books, because We Love Used Bookstores. (When we went to Austin last year, we bought so many books and shoes that Brandy's bag was overweight when we tried to fly home.) I got two knitting books: Knitting the New Classics ($5) and Rowan's Season's Tale (regular price at Borders.) I had printed a list of Houston yarn stores before I left, but when we were there with the map, it turned out they were all a million miles away.

I didn’t knit a STITCH the whole time I was gone. I seldom do when I’m on an out-of-town vacation. I’ve made good progress on the Corset Pullover this weekend, though. This is a Very Interesting pattern. There is a lot going on: waist shaping and short rows and bust darts. I also finished the button side of the Jailbird Cardy buttonband right before I left.

While I was away, the Best Cousin Ever found out for me that the Rowan Denim ballband claims it knits up at 28rows=4" and then shrinks to 32rows=4". That is NOT the oft-mentioned 20% -- more like 12% by my calculations. The denim I bought to substitute is supposed to have a Shrink Factor of 10-15%. My internet knitting right now is a nice, big swatch that I will shrink ASAP. I'm glad I bought extra of this yarn. I think I'm going to need it.